Office Assistant Job at Education Development Center (EDC) – EverJobs Uganda
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work. EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/OVC’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Office Assistant will be responsible for keeping the office environment clean, healthy and safe. This position reports to the Logistics Manager. This is a full-time position based in the Zonal -Jinja
- Provide daily cleaning of the office including, desks, chairs, windows, walls, floors, office equipment and kitchens;
- Identify daily repairs and maintenance needed for any part of the office and its furnishings and report to the Logistics Manager for corrective action;
· Track and ensure availability of kitchen and cleaning supplies such as soap, detergent, water, tea, coffee, sugar, silverware, cups, dishware, towels, etc.;
- Provide tea and coffee for visitors as requested;
- Assist in the loading, unloading and movement of furniture, equipment, cargo and office supplies;
- Ensure garbage is emptied and garbage bins are kept clean;
- Act as backup to the receptionist in regard to welcoming and directing visitors, answering telephone, screen and direct calls, taking and relaying messages;
- Photocopy, scan and fax documents as requested;
· Actively participates in Collaborative, Learning and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project; and
· Perform other official tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of standard office equipment e.g., fax, scanner and photocopier;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with all levels of staff;
- Flexibility in working hours and ability to work under pressure.
Minimum of Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) or equivalent.
Skills and Experience:
· Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a position comparable to Office Assistant; experience working on a USAID financed project is a plus;
· High level of integrity;
· Ability to proficiently read, speak and write English;
· Willingness to help with basic office tasks, as needed;
· Careful with the handling of products and mixtures used for cleaning (chlorine, bleach, detergents, etc.);
· Reliable and punctual worker who is capable of performing routine tasks without supervision;
· Demonstrates ability to remain calm and work effectively in a fast-paced, team environment;
· Must be reliable, dependable, flexible and willing to work beyond routine hours.
Fluency in English is required.