Senior Data Programmer NGO Jobs – Medical Research Council (MRC UK) /UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit – Jobs in Uganda | Ugandan Jobline Jobs
Job Title: Senior Data Programmer
Organisation: Medical Research Council (MRC UK) /UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Data Management
The Medical Research Council (MRC UK) is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts.
Job Summary: The Senior Data Programmer will handle data programming in the MRC unit, setup and manage the database servers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Data Managers to Design/program new complex Database Management Information Systems (DMIS) – data entry screens, tables, queries, reports, modules, data cleaning system, database management menu screens; and,
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the DMIS he has programmed.
Line Management Responsibilities;
- Program studies’ data collection programs for UMPCs;
- Program data capture screens for clinic and other studies that may need electronic data capture; and,
- Modify the data code for the open source databases.
- Modify and update pre-written database programs in Visual Basic;
- Reprogramming the Lab link system whenever there are new studies or changes in the HIV testing algorithm; and,
- Lead the data programming needs for the team managing multicentre and multinational Clinical trials and other studies.
- Demonstrate understanding of the relationship between data from different studies, and/or across different databases;
- Write more complex queries for cleaning, checking and managing data; and,
- Maintain full documentation for databases, so that they can be easily used by database managers, and other staff employed on the studies. Emphasis is on the clean and clear application of tables, queries and modules to organise information.
Line Programming support outside the data section;
- Offer programming support to Masaka/Entebbe clinic pharmacy;
- Provide support to Administration for obtaining reports on the vehicle tracking system; and,
- To facilitate and program electronic data capture from laboratory tests.
- Programming Work on GPC data normalization with a consultant system analyst.
- Line management responsibilities:
- Supervise Data Programmers.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a database programming related field (such as IT, database programming, Software engineering, Computer Science);
- MSc in Information systems or related field is an added advantage;
- At least five years of experience in programming using more than one language (Phython, PHP, .Net Languages);
- Three years’ experience working with at least one database management systems (OpenClinica, My SQL, SQL server, or Redcap);
- Knowledge in data management and statistics; and,
- Good communication skills.
How to Apply:
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Filling the form more than once will lead to automatic disqualification. High level of integrity while filling the form is required and will be considered during shortlisting. Combine all your application documentation i.e. cover letter, CV & academic documents into one PDF document. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification. Only online applications will be accepted.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Deadline: 6th August 2021 by 5:00pm